top of page

A peanut lodged inside a child's trachea!

A peanut lodged inside a child's trachea!

This powerful photo gives a stark warning to parents about the dangers of choking.

The photo shows a coronal cross-section of the lungs of a small child who died of suffocation after choking on a peanut.⁣

Every parent will be familiar with the time spent cutting and slicing their children's food to ensure they can eat with no issues.⁣

No matter how hard you try, there's always a chance their wandering hands will pick up something they shouldn't and potentially put them in danger.⁣

Seeing a little one begin to choke can strike fear and panic into any mum or dad as you quickly attempt to help dislodge the thing blocking their airways.⁣

Choking and suffocation after foreign body aspiration are important causes of unintentional injury and death in young children.⁣

Choking is the interruption of respiration by internal obstruction of the airway, usually by food or small toys in young children. Suffocation is obstruction of the airway from an external object that blocks the nose and mouth, such as a plastic bag.⁣

These are common causes of mechanical airway obstruction, commonly occurring between the ages of one and four years. ⁣

Peanuts and other nuts are the fourth leading cause of international death in children. At least one child dies from choking on food every five days in the US, and more than 12,000 children are taken to a hospital emergency room each year for food-choking injuries.⁣

Peanuts and other nuts are the size of the airway of a child younger than four to five years.⁣

The risk of death from suffocation is real, but it is avoidable.⁣

Please do not offer small children: whole dry fruits, popcorn, nuts or any food that may resemble the size of small candies.⁣

Death cannot be reversed. It is best to prevent.


bottom of page